Saturday 16 April 2016

Travelling Light

This was the sight earlier this morning prior to departure for Delphi. Bags out before Morning Prayer, ready to be taken onto the coach.

It made me think again about what the apostle Paul carried with him as he went on his missionary travels. A few of my fellow pilgrims have actually asked me what Paul's luggage actually entailed, and my honest answer is that I don't know. We know from 2 Tim 4:13 that Paul took a number of his own possessions on his travels because in that passage he specifically asks for his cloak and writing materials. But whether he had equipment for his trade as a tentmaker is uncertain. It is possible he shared the equipment of Aquila and Priscilla when he met and worked with them in Corinth - of which more later.

My gut feel is that Paul travelled fairly light; he must have done to leave Berea in a hurry as he had to and to travel the large distances he did he would not want to be weighed down with lots of stuff.

When it came to simplicity, I suspect Paul had a thing or two to teach us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment